NEEDS BASED FINANCIAL AID
Blyth Academy strongly believes in the value of educational travel and the impact it has on students’ academic and professional futures. We believe in making our programs fully accessible to all students, and therefore provide financial aid to students and families who have demonstrated financial need.
Last year, Blyth Academy provided financial assistance to 80 students on the International Summers and Community Service programs. The average financial aid amount is $500–$1000 towards the cost of the program, for a total of more than $80,000 awarded.
To apply to the Needs-based financial aid program, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a student who is financially restricted and would have difficulty/be unable to otherwise participate in the program.
- Be a Grade 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 student
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Show solid Community and school involvement
- Exhibit strong leadership characteristics and personal integrity
- Have an interest in travel
Application Should Include
- Blyth Academy International Summers and Community Service Financial Aid/Application Form (please print and return the completed form)
- Short Essay – Please provide a 500 word essay explaining why you would like to study abroad and how you believe you will contribute to your chosen program
- Program deposit of $895 plus registration fee of $195. Note: If your scholarship application is declined or the financial aid amount is insufficient to allow you to travel with Blyth Academy, you can request, and will receive, a full refund, including the deposit and registration fee.
- Most recent report card
- One reference letter – a letter from either a teacher or a leader in your community.
- Letter of financial need – a personal letter from a parent/guardian outlining your financial need. The parent letter of financial need must be signed by the parent.
- T4 – Most recent statements of remuneration for both parents (or legal guardians).
Applicants will be contacted to confirm the application has been received.
Financial Aid applications for March Break Programs are due by Thursday, December 15, 2016.
Financial Aid applications for Summer Programs are due by Wednesday, February 15, 2017.
Once the application is received by Blyth Academy you will receive a confirmation email. The application will then be assessed based on need and completeness of the application.
Best of luck to all of our applicants!
Decisions will be made available via email after December 21, 2016 for March Break programs, and after February 26, 2017 for Summer programs. Successful applicants will be notified of the amount of financial aid offered, and will have time to reflect and decide if they wish to proceed with registration. Offers of scholarship amount will be sent to the parent and student via email. The parent must accept or decline the offer of aid in writing. No student acceptance will be valid. Those receiving financial aid will have until December 21, 2016 (March Break Programs) or March 7, 2017 (Summer Programs) to confirm their acceptance.
Email or fax complete applications to:
Financial Aid Committee
Fax: (416) 960-9506
- Discounts, special offers, and financial aid/scholarships cannot be combined. This includes all early booking incentives.
- Should students choose to switch programs, offers of financial aid may be altered to reflect program choice.
- Financial aid cannot be awarded in cash.
- Financial aid cannot be used for optional excursions.